Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Miracles and Prozac

Ever hear of "Prozac poop out?" I had been on that miracle drug for almost ten years. It really helped with my depression. After leaving my religious order in disgust, I did not know what was the matter with me because it seemed that I was unable to adjust to parish/religious ministry. So I quit. I really was hopeless until this Prozac came bopping along. It gave me new life and I was able to start in a rewarding ministry as a hospice chaplain. But then about a year and a half ago things began to go South again. I was no longer interested in my ministry. Despite the needs of my beloved patients, I was less and less inclined to leave the house and tend to them. Finally, this past February, I retired, once again in disgust with myself for not being able to adapt.
A few weeks ago I went to the doctor and explained my symptoms. He said that I was "merely" reacting to the Prozac's propensity to poop out after a few years. He put me on a new drug and I am back to being my positive self again. Albeit without a job and with a continuing reputation for unreliability. So, now I have another miracle to rely on. At least for another few years. I only wish that someone in our medical community was more forthcoming with the well known info that brought about my miserable last year. Prozac poop out? I guess miracles have a shelf life.
So, how reliable are miracles anyway? The Bible stories are filled with them. Despite my history of disappointments, I believe wholeheartedly in miracles of all types. The ones that can be easily explained over time, the result of ongoing progress in scientific understanding. And also in the ones that we may never be able to understand, i.e. Why am I loved by a God that I cannot begin to fathom? What is forever?
Other miracles fall in between these. These are the ones that tease science into believing that they can be explained. They are also the ones that simple folk have no need of explanation.
I believe that a rare and substantial miracle is currently underway. It may or may not be explainable now or ever. And like my Prozac experience it may be painful until the new way is clear. It seems that things have been going along quite nicely in our concept of society and economics. Since the Industrial Revolution of two hundred or so years ago, things have been getting better for the under classes. But now that seems to be wearing off like the Prozac.
Again, why did not some of the experts not warn us that capitalism has its limits? Some tried but were quickly silenced. Is the miracle of capitalism over or do we need a new format? As for myself,  I believe that our way of life is salvageable. I know that our God through our angels, spirit guides, conscience... is establishing a path of opportunity for those who will accept the new miracle with trust. We will be fine. We will survive, We will once again flourish for a while until it is time to update our miracle drug once again. This blog insists on trust. The way will be daunting for a while but the new way is being installed as we speak. I have heard the Good News once again proclaimed. Have you? If not yet, then stay tuned and maybe we can help each other. Meanwhile try another pill :)
Rod of the Desert

No comments:

Post a Comment