Friday, March 23, 2012

On The Level

Remember a few essays back when I compared our levels of being here in this life to the old teaching about there being nine choirs of angels? This is reflected in Jesus' comforting words that there are many rooms in my Father's house.
In my last essay "Have Gun - Will Shoot" I ended with an admonition about us all being ready to be slain rather than to slay. About forgiving the unforgivable. I indicted that there are probably not many of us that are ready for that level of being. I suspect that if somebody surprised me by breaking into my house and I happened to have a crowbar at hand, they would be sporting a bas relief of the Grand Canyon at twilight in the midst of what was left of their skull.
I am not at a level where I automatically forgive and recognize all persons as God's children. However, I believe that I am making progress by avoiding situations and confrontations that may lead to my animal nature taking control. In the meantime I am comforted by Jesus' telling me that even if I screw up badly, He will find a shack somewhere in the afterlife where I can contemplate and grow more like Him.
I suspect that the people who would attack me and steal from me and cheat me are at a low level of being. They are just starting out and they hardly know that they are human. God loves these, these are potential stars of the future. At one time you and I were at this level. God wants us to help the spirit guides form these wild children into loving beings. You cannot form anyone whom you shoot on sight. We form by example. It was the way of the early church. People then said that you knew they were Christians by their love. It was also the time of the martyrs. Man, many offered their lives in the name of love. They would not surrender to the crass laws of survival that were demanded of them by a pagan society.
I wonder if the time for martyrs has come around again? I wonder if we are ready to offer that ultimate love as did Sydney Carton in The Tale of Two Cities? If not then we still have Jesus' promise to fall back on. But me, I am an over achiever, I do not want to fall back. I aspire to move up as many notches as I can in this life. I do not want to go through this circus ever again. How about you? Are you satisfied with living life as a good person and accepting any level in the after life?
Me, I gotta get as near to God as I can and I gotta accept the sometimes frustrating and exhausting challenges that go along with this goal. Hey man, I'm on the level!

No comments:

Post a Comment